Reciting these before eating is a way to foster mindful eating. When we practice eating mindfully and being present with our food, we decrease the likelihood of automatic overeating. Try these out and see if any resonate with you.
The Five Reflections Before Eating
- This food is a gift from God and the universe; numerous living beings and much hard, loving work was put forth to bring me this food.
- May I eat with mindfulness and gratitude as I receive this gift.
- May I recognize and transform distracting thoughts that are not serving me, and practice thoughts that help me eat with presence and enjoyment.
- May I bring self-love & body appreciation to my food choices, and choose foods that support my wellbeing.
- I accept this food to nourish myself, and by doing so, have greater ability to support and nourish other people and things I care about.