I came across these five pre-meal contemplations created by Thich Nhat Hanh.
Reciting these before eating is a way to foster mindful eating. Try them on and see if any resonate with you.
The Five Contemplations
- This food is a gift from the whole universe: the earth, the sky, numerous living beings, and much hard, loving work.
- May I eat with mindfulness and gratitude so as to be worthy to receive it.
- May I recognize and transform mental constructs that are not serving me and learn to eat with moderation.
- May I keep compassion alive by eating in such a way that reduces the suffering of living beings, stops contributing to climate change, and heals and preserves our precious planet.
- I accept this food so that I may nurture my sisterhood and brotherhood, strengthen my community, and nourish my ideal of serving all living beings.